Skip to Main Content

Glossary M

Furniture Terms

Besides offering an extraordinary selection of affordable furnishings, we also want to be your go-to authority for stylish décor. This digital glossary was created to help you get better acquainted with the variety of terms used to describe our HomeStore products. The more information we can provide, the more confident you’ll feel about choosing us for your home.

All A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z #


The complete facing around the opening of a fireplace, including any shelf used above it as well as any part that projects from the wall.
Heavy use of inlays over a large surface to create a panoramic picture.
Mattress Ticking
The fabric that covers a mattress.
A round or oval ornamental motif.
Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)
This is made by breaking down wood chips into fibers, mixing glue, and fusing the resulting mixture under heat and pressure to produce a board.
A surface slanted to another surface, it is called a miter when the angle is 45 degrees.
Furniture constructed in units that can be arranged in different configurations.
Key Town modular entertainment wall
Modular Carpet
A round or oval ornamental motif.
Fabric, usually silk, with a rippled, wavy pattern that gives a watered appearance or wood grain. It has a very traditional appearance.
Decorative strips of wood applied to furniture for visual effect.
Monochromatic Scheme
A color scheme limited to one color in various tones. The value and intensity of the hue are used to provide contrast. This color is often simple and sophisticated.
Mortise and Tenon Joint
Method of joining two pieces of wood where the projecting tenon of one piece fits into the opening (mortise) of the other.
A decorative design or subject.
Motion Furniture
Chairs, beds, or sofas containing mechanisms that allow the user to recline or extend their legs.
Kaylor DuraBlend Recliner - Motion Furniture
Ornamental metalwork applied to furniture – usually cabinet pieces, sometimes chairs.
This is a plain-weave fabric that may be bleached or unbleached. Usually used as undercovering on upholstered pieces to tie in the stuffing and padding materials prior to putting on the final upholstery fabric.